Home and Garden Television (HGTV) filmed their show Caribbean Life (season one) on St. Croix, featuring our own Chris Hanley guiding statesiders through the island home-buying process. Ever since those episodes aired in January, we have been flooded with inquiries from mainland residents hoping to make the same transition. One of the questions we receive most frequently is about health care options on St. Croix:
St. Croix’s primary medical center is the Governor Juan F. Luis Hospital, centrally located mid-island near Sunny Isle Shopping Center. As with a stateside hospital, they offer emergency services, intensive care unit, labor / delivery floor, etc. Adjacent to the hospital is a special cardiac center.
Another government affiliated option is Frederiksted Health Care, Inc., which has multiple locations including west and mid-island on the north shore.
The island features a number of physician’s private practices in a variety of specialties:
- Primary Care, PLLC (Dr. Arakere Prasad, PCP)
- OrthoCaribbean (Dr. Deborah Appleyard, Orthopedic Surgeon)
- The Moorman Aesthetic Center (Dr. Gregory Moorman, Plastic / Reconstructive Surgeon)
- Pediatric Care Center (Pediatricians Dr. Anthony Ricketts, Dr. Trevena Moore and Dr. Olajide Olawepo)
- Island Therapy Solutions (Dr. Lindsy Wagner; DeeAnne Davis, LCSW; Kelly Redmon, LCSW; Julie Sommer, MSOT, OTR/L; Kristi Coonrod, MS, CCC-SLP; Dr. Wayne Etheridge; Dr. Dara Hamilton; and Dr. Rosalind Spells)
A number of dentists practice on St. Croix. Offices include VI Dental Center (Drs. Jones and Gray) just east of Christiansted. The office of Dr. Kurt Buska is located in Gallows Bay and Dr. Kenses practices in the Sunny Isle area.
Medical Airlift Options
Barry University has a St. Croix location for its physician’s assistant program. The University of the Virgin Islands recently announced plans for a school of medicine on St. Thomas and a simulation center on St. Croix, according the the St. Croix Source.
Remember to subscribe to our feed for up-to-date info on what to do and where to go when you visit St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands.